Harare City beat CAPS United 7-6 after penalty shootout

Lloyd Chitembwe avenged the league defeat at the hands of his former paymasters at the National Sports Stadium yesterday as Harare City knocked CAPS United out of the all-inclusive Chibuku Super Cup.

After toiling in an otherwise lifeless 90 minutes, where both sides failed to find the back of the net, the two sides needed a penalty shootout to determine a winner.

From the nine taken by either side, the municipal side scored seven while the green machine-scored six.

Walter Mukanga, Maxwell Nyamupanedengu, Marshall Machazane, Moses Muchenje, Tatenda Tumba, Ishmael Wadi and Raymond Uchena scored for City.

The fact that the duo of Emmanuel Ziocha and Takudzwa Chimwemwe missed their efforts did not count at the end of the day.

For the Green machine, veteran defender Method Mwanjale, Joel Ngodzo, Ronald Chitiyo, Blessing Sarupinda, Carlos Rusere and Clive Rupiya all scored.

However, their efforts were undone by the trio of captain Hardlife Zvirekwi, Chris Mverechena and Phinias Bamusi, who missed chances.

Chitembwe hogged the limelight moments before Uchena scored the winning penalty when he jogged out of the field as if it to signal the end of the contest.

But at the post-match media conference, the interim Warriors assistant coach revealed that he could barely watch the final spot-kick as he was not prepared for any heartache.

“The game was taking its toll, we had three situations that we were in control and at some point, it appeared as if we were losing control.

“So honestly speaking, I did not want to experience the agony of losing the game when we looked like we were in control. That is the reason I did not want to be part of the last moments.”

“It is not really important to look at the past, football is all about the present and the future, so the past is no longer important. We just want to celebrate this moment and look at our next game.

“All the same, it was a good performance and I think we really controlled the game, especially in the second half. Overall I think the players did very well,” said Chitembwe.

CAPS United controlled the game in the opening stanza and should have taken the lead going to the breather, with good chances going to Ngodzo and Dominic Mukandi.

Moments after the half-time pep talk, Chitiyo got a perfect chance to break the deadlock but failed to control his header when he received a good cross from Mukandi.

The City fathers later wrestled control of the match in the second half.

Wadi failed to beat Prosper Chigumba in a one-on-one situation. Muchenje also had a perfect chance to seal the winner.

Before the penalty kicks, CAPS United gaffer Darlington Dodo had brought in substitute goalkeeper Chris Mverechena to save the penalties but the shot-stopper failed to inspire his men.

“It was a tactical move. At the training, we saw that he is better in terms of saving penalties as compared to Prosper (Chigumba).

“We are disappointed because we expected to go further than this, it is just unfortunate.

“It was not a very good or very bad performance. We had some moments in which we did the right things, we also had some great moments,” said Dodo.


CAPS United: P Chigumba (C Mverechena 90), H Zvirekwi, G Goriyati, M Mwanjale, C Rusere, D Mukandi, J Ngodzo, P Bamusi, C Rupiya, J Zhuwawo (R Chitiyo 46’), N Sianchali (B Sarupinda 85)

Harare City: M Nyamupanedengu, M Machazani, W Manondo (T Tumba 60), M Nyenye Diro, J Chipangura (W Mukanga 90), T Chimwemwe, R Uchena, T Tavengwa, M Muchenje, M Vengesayi (E Ziocha 90), I Wadi

Source – The SundayMail

Back to top button