Home Sports Uefa Champions League VAR Drama as Chelsea comes from behind to Draw with Ajax 4-4

VAR Drama as Chelsea comes from behind to Draw with Ajax 4-4

Chelsea vs Ajax 4-4

Chelsea came back from 4-1 down to draw a Champions League thriller against an Ajax side who had two men sent off. Tammy Abraham scored an early own goal, Jorginho equalised with a penalty but Quincy Promes then headed Ajax ahead.

Kepa Arrizabalaga’s own goal and Donny van de Beek’s low strike gave Ajax a three-goal lead at Stamford Bridge.

Cesar Azpilicueta pulled one back, Ajax had Daley Blind and Joel Veltman sent off before Jorginho’s second penalty and Reece James’ effort made it 4-4. VAR might come into the spotlight in this match as many decisions seemed amiss especially those 2 red cards.

Chelsea thought they had grabbed a sensational victory when Azpilicueta smashed a loose ball into the net but the goal was ruled out after a video assistant referee review showed the ball had struck Abraham’s arm before falling for the Chelsea captain.

It leaves three teams on seven points in Group H, with Ajax moving top on goal difference, Chelsea second and Valencia third after they beat Lille 4-1 in Spain.

Source – BBC

In Other News – Barcelona fails to beat Slavia Prague

La Liga giants Barcelona failed to score for the first time in 46 home games as they were held to a draw by Slavia Prague. Lionel Messi, who did not score or provide an assist for the first time in a home Champions League group game since 2012, struck the bar and had the best of Barca’s six shots on target.

Barcelona vs Slavia Prague

His fierce left-footed strike was well saved by Ondrej Kolar in the first half. Barcelona remains top of Champions League Group F, while the visitors are bottom.

Ernesto Valverde’s side has eight points from four games, while Borussia Dortmund and Inter Milan had four points each going into their 20:00 GMT kick-off at the Westfalenstadion. continue reading

Previous articleBarcelona held at home by Slavia Prague
Next articleLiverpool beats Genk 2 – 1