Met dep: Thunderstorms expected in various parts of the country till Saturday. The Meteorological Services Department has warned that thunderstorms are expected in various parts of the country from today till Saturday. In an update posted by the department on Twitter, MSD said:
ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS ON THURSDAY 07 JANUARY 2021 VALID UNTIL SATURDAY 09 JANUARY 2021.
Out of the thunderstorms that occurred over the country yesterday afternoon and evening, notable falls were in areas such as Mount Darwin (45 mm), Sanyati (45 mm), Zaka (45 mm), Plumtree (32mm), Logan Park Harare (28 mm) and Denney’s Farm Gwanda (20 mm). These unstable atmospheric conditions are expected to persist.
TOMORROW’S FORECAST FRIDAY 08 JANUARY 2021: COUNTRYWIDE
It should be mostly cloudy and warm with widespread thunderstorms that may result in localized heavier rains over high-ground. Mild conditions are expected towards evening.
- Thunderstorms may be violent in places (coupled with very strong winds and lightning).
- Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream.
- Heavy downpours may reduce visibility and flood dangers become difficult to perceive during heavy rains
- Lightning remains a potential threat to human life.
- When Thunder Roars, it is best to be indoors!
- If outdoor, try and find shelter immediately; do not shelter under trees or in isolated sheds
- Avoid crossing flooded rivers and swollen streams whether on foot or in a vehicle.
- Keep away from metal equipment and pipes, as these are prone to lightning strikes.
- Do not ride at the back of an open truck or drive a tractor during a storm,
- Avoid driving when visibility is poor, more so at night and during heavy rains.
- Ensure rooftops are strongly secured and intact as the potential of wind gust is high.
- Try and avoid kitchen areas during a storm as these are prone to lightning strikes.
- Stay Weather-Ready and Environment-Safe.
Source – Pindula News