President Mnangagwa announces new COVID-19 measures for selected areas. Affected areas are Hurungwe, Makonde, and Kariba. President Emmerson Mnangagwa has announced new COVID-19 measures for areas that have experienced a spike in new infections of the coronavirus.
Pindula News presents the statement that was read by the Minister of Health and Child Care, Vice President Constantino Chiwenga.
PRESS STATEMENT BY HIS EXCELLENCY, THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF ZIMBABWE AND COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF OF THE ZIMBABWE DEFENCE FORCES, CDE DR E D MNANGAGWA, ON THE MEASURES TO CURB THE SURGE IN COVID-19 CASES IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS: MAKONDE DISTRICT, HURUNGWE DISTRICT AND KARIBA DISTRICT: 17 JUNE 2021
COVID 19 cases continue to increase in the above-mentioned districts. On Monday 14 June 2021 Mash West had 38 new cases, on Tuesday the figure went up to 115 new cases and on Wednesday they were 105 new cases. Karoi has 10 tobacco auction floors and this has resulted in the town drawing growers from as far as Gokwe and Chegutu and people from Harare.
The town is a business huh and has the potential to spread the disease to other parts of the country. We lost 2 senior government employees today in Karoi. In Chinhoyi tests on 15 people found all 15 Covid 19 positive.
There is a serious outbreak in Zambia and this exposes Kariba to Covid 19 from across the border. I, therefore, direct that the following measures be implemented in order to control the spread of Covid 19 in these areas.
1) Curfew from 1800 hrs to 0600 hrs. Entry or exit into these districts is prohibited, except for Essential Services.
2) Shop and business operating hours from 0800 hrs to 1500 hrs.
3) Public transport to carry half their carrying capacity to enable physical distancing. Every public transport vehicle to be disinfected after every trip.
4) Proper wearing of face masks in public and public transport vehicles.
5) Sanitising and temperature checks on boarding public transport and entering any business premises.
6) No face-to-face meetings.
7) All gatherings except funeral gatherings are banned. Funeral gatherings to have a maximum of 30 people. All COVID 19 funerals to be supervised by MoHCC personnel.
8) Bars, beerhalls and nightclubs to be closed. 8) Bars, beerhalls and nightclubs to be closed.
9) Bottle stores to operate from 1000 hrs to 1500 hrs. No drinking in the bottle store or its environs.
10) No loitering in public places.
11) Hotel and lodge restaurants and bars to provide room service only.
12) All other restaurants and fast-food outlets to serve only take away with no seating.
13) Decongest office employees to 25% except for essential services.
14) Long haulage trucks are to stop, park or rest in designated places only (Local JOC to designate the places for enforcement purposes).
15) Tobacco auction floors and GMB to operate from 0800 hrs to 1500 hrs. Every employee of the tobacco auction floor to have a negative PCR or rapid antigen Covid 19 test not older than 14 days. Each batch of bales to be accompanied by a maximum of 2 people. All individuals entering the tobacco floor to be sanitized on entry, have their temperature checked and to be properly wearing their face masks. All vending in and around the tobacco floors is prohibited.
16) There will be intensified testing and contact tracing. All contacts will be quarantined, and all positive cases will be isolated.
The Ministry of Health and Child Care supported by security agencies will enforce these measures.
Source – Pindula news
In other news – Father Ribeiro who designed the Zimbabwean flag dies
Father Ribeiro who designed the Zimbabwean flag dies. Father Ribeiro died at St Anne’s Hospital in Harare Thursday morning. His death was confirmed by Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Permanent Secretary Mr Nick Mangwana.