Wellington Mpandare to lead crew for Khama Billiat talks. The delegation is expected to travel before Warriors starts camp on December 23. H-Metro Sport gathered that Norman Mapeza and his backroom staff believe Billiat’s experience will be a huge boost for the team at the AFCON finals, in Cameron, next month.
The Warriors technical team are set to send a delegation to South Africa, led by team manager Wellington Mpandare, on a mission to persuade Khama Billiat to come out of retirement.
And, with a number of high profile players including Marshall Munetsi, Marvelous Nakamba, Tendayi Darikwa and Brendan Galloway missing out, they are desperate to have Billiat in Cameroon.
Mpandare, who confirmed the trip, will be accompanied by one of Mapeza’s backroom staff. Mapeza is being assisted by Taurai Mangwiro, Mandla Mpofu, Energy Murambadoro and Benjani Mwaruwari.
“Yes it’s true, we are going to send a delegation to South Africa and I am part of it.
“The trip has been delayed by some technicalities. We could have travelled last week but remember there was a Covid-19 outbreak at Kaizer Chiefs. We want to talk to the player while in good condition. “I might not give specific names to be on the delegation but I will be joined by a member of the technical bench and we will see how it goes.
“The idea is to travel before the team starts camp,” said Mpandare. Mpandare said the technical team’s position on Billiat remains the same that they still require his services.
“Our position on the player remains the same, he has been one of our key players. We respect his decision but we think he still has a lot to offer, especially for these finals.”
Zimbabwe begin their campaign with a match against giants Senegal on January 10. They are in Group B, which is completed by Guinea and Malawi.
Source – H-Metro
In other news – Former ZIFA and PSMAS boss Cuthbert Dube critically ill
Former ZIFA and PSMAS boss Cuthbert Dube critically ill. According to a judgement by Justice Joseph Mafusire, the former ZIFA president is critically ill and unable to stand trial. The High Court has suspended the hearing of a case in which former Premier Service Medical Aid Society (PSMAS) group chief executive officer, Cuthbert Dube, is accused of swindling the company of millions of dollars due to his ill health.
His trial, which has been hanging before the courts since 2017, was supposed to proceed last month. His lawyer says he is due to travel to India for treatment next…Learn More.