Say hello to your new family’s favourite, super-easy cheeseburger rice. Loaded with beef, bacon, mustard and cheese!
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 125g rindless middle bacon rashers, chopped
– 600g lean beef mince
– 3 garlic cloves, crushed
– 1 brown onion, finely chopped
– 1/2 cup smoky barbecue sauce
– 1 tbsp American mustard
– 450g packet 21⁄2 minute white long-grain rice
– 1 cup grated pizza cheese
– 2 tomatoes, seeded, chopped
– 1/4 cup bread and butter pickles
– 1 green onion, thinly sliced
– American mustard, to serve
– Smoky barbecue sauce, to serve
3 Method / Steps
Heat half the oil in a large, deep frying pan over high heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
Heat remaining oil in the same pan over high heat. Add mince. Cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, for 7 to 8 minutes or until browned. Add garlic and three-quarters of the brown onion. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add 1⁄2 cup cold water, barbecue sauce and mustard. Stir to combine. Add rice. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Stir in half the bacon. Top rice with cheese. Cook, covered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
Combine the tomato and remaining bacon and brown onion in a small bowl. Scatter cheeseburger rice with some of the pickles, green onion and tomato mixture. Drizzle with extra barbecue sauce and mustard. Serve with the remaining pickles, green onion and tomato mixture on the side.
source – cooking365.co.za