These saucy chow mein noodles and sticky beef mince meatballs are packed with flavour and sneaky veg. Whip this up in 40 for an easy, budget-friendly weeknight dinner.
* 500g lean beef mince
* 1 carrot, peeled, finely grated
* 25g (1 ⁄2 cup) panko breadcrumbs
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
* 1 egg
* 80ml (1 ⁄3 cup) soy sauce
* 1 tbsp vegetable oil
* 280g packet dried chow mein noodles
* 70g (1 ⁄3 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
* 80ml (1 ⁄3 cup) hoisin sauce
* 250g broccoli, cut into florets
* Sesame seeds, toasted, to serve
3 Method / Steps
Place the beef, carrot, breadcrumbs, garlic, ginger, egg and 1 tbsp soy sauce in a bowl. Use clean hands to mix until well combined. Shape tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls to make 24 in total.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook meatballs, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until well browned. Cook the noodles following packet directions.
Whisk together the sugar, hoisin, remaining soy sauce and 60ml (1 ⁄4 cup) water in a jug. Add to the frying pan. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Top with broccoli. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until broccoli is just tender. Uncover. Simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened. Divide the noodles and meatball mixture among serving plates. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
source – cooking365coza