
Zimbabwe Police have announced a major breakthrough in the ongoing investigation into Zimbabwe’s largest-ever bank robbery, with the arrest of a third suspect linked to the daring US$4 million heist that took place in Bulawayo in October 2024. The latest suspect, 39-year-old Bhekani Mlilo, was apprehended by Botswana authorities on July 14, 2025, as he attempted to cross into the country from neighbouring South Africa.
Confirming the development on Friday, Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) national spokesperson, Commissioner Paul Nyathi, said efforts were now underway to have the suspect extradited to Zimbabwe to face charges.
“The due processes of the law are now taking effect for the suspect’s extradition to Zimbabwe,” said Commissioner Nyathi. He hailed the cooperation between regional law enforcement agencies, emphasizing the importance of cross-border collaboration in tackling organized crime.
Mlilo’s arrest comes just days after two other key suspects in the case—brothers Abraham Temayi Vumbunu and Elijah Temayi Vumbunu—were captured in South Africa. The pair is believed to have masterminded the high-profile armed robbery that targeted the Ecobank branch located in the heart of Bulawayo’s central business district on October 3, 2024.
According to Zimbabwe police reports, six armed men driving a white Ford Ranger ambushed Safeguard security officers who were in the process of transferring large sums of cash from the Ecobank branch to their armored vehicle. The robbers, who were heavily armed, swiftly disarmed the security team and loaded several boxes of cash into their own vehicle before making a clean getaway. The entire operation lasted under four minutes.
Initial investigations revealed that the robbers likely had access to inside information, allowing them to time the heist with surgical precision. Officials from Safeguard Security later disclosed that they had been misinformed by Ecobank regarding the total amount of cash to be collected that day. The discrepancy in the cash figure reportedly led to a relaxed security protocol, inadvertently creating an opportunity for the robbers to strike.
As the investigation progressed, Zimbabwe police arrested a Safeguard security guard in connection with the case. The guard was initially charged with assisting the robbery suspects but later saw those charges dropped. However, authorities proceeded to charge him with money laundering, suggesting the involvement of complex financial networks possibly used to conceal or move the stolen money.
Zimbabwe Police Capture Third Suspect Linked to Bulawayo Bank Heist
The October 2024 robbery sent shockwaves throughout the nation, both for the sheer scale of the theft and the professionalism with which it was carried out. To date, it remains Zimbabwe’s largest recorded cash robbery and has triggered renewed scrutiny of both private security companies and banking institutions, with calls for tighter security procedures and enhanced vetting of personnel involved in large money transfers.
Law enforcement agencies have since launched an aggressive manhunt for the remaining suspects and any individuals who may have aided the operation or benefitted from its proceeds. Commissioner Nyathi has continued to appeal to the public for information that may assist in bringing all the culprits to justice.
“We are leaving no stone unturned in our pursuit of justice. This was not a random crime—it was well-planned and executed, and we believe more people may be involved, including possible insiders,” Nyathi stated.
He further reiterated that Zimbabwe police would continue collaborating with regional and international law enforcement partners to track suspects across borders and recover the stolen funds. Authorities are also investigating whether the robbers used money laundering channels to move the proceeds out of the country or convert them into assets.
While portions of the stolen money have reportedly been recovered in previous arrests, a substantial amount is still unaccounted for. The ongoing arrests have raised hopes that more of the funds may yet be traced and returned.
As Mlilo awaits extradition proceedings in Botswana, the Zimbabwean authorities remain resolute in their mission to dismantle the criminal network behind the audacious heist and ensure that all those involved face the full weight of the law.










