
Fears of a serial killer terrorising the town of Norton have eased after authorities confirmed that one of two recent murder cases has been solved, with a suspect already appearing in court.
The clarification comes after days of anxiety in the commuter town, located west of Harare, where the discovery of two bodies in separate incidents within 48 hours had sparked speculation that a serial killer might be at large. Police and prosecutors have now moved to dismiss the rumours, assuring residents that the two killings are not connected.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) on Friday confirmed that 29-year-old Pardon Jena of Maridale in Norton has been formally charged with murder. He appeared before the Norton Magistrates’ Court following his arrest in connection with the death of a man who was stabbed outside Seaways Bar in the early hours of 25 August 2025.
According to court papers, Jena and the victim had been drinking at the bar before leaving together around 2AM. While walking towards Kufa Garage, an argument reportedly broke out between the two men. The NPA said the quarrel quickly turned violent.
“The accused pulled out a knife and stabbed the victim in the neck, killing him instantly,” prosecutors told the court.
The victim’s body was discovered shortly after the incident by a passer-by, who alerted police. Detectives launched investigations and later recovered evidence linking Jena to the killing, including a pair of blood-stained shoes allegedly worn during the attack.
Police Dismiss Serial Killer Rumours in Norton as One Murder Case Is Solved
Jena was arrested the same day near Petro Trade Garage. Prosecutors have opposed bail, citing the seriousness of the offence and the risk of interference with investigations.
“Murder is a grave crime,” the NPA said in a statement. “Members of the public are urged to resolve their disputes amicably rather than resort to violence.”
Investigations into the case are ongoing, but authorities say the evidence already gathered confirms that the crime was a result of a personal altercation, not part of a broader pattern of attacks.
While Jena’s arrest has brought closure to one case, it was a second murder — reported just a day later — that triggered fears of a serial killer. On 26 August 2025, the body of a man identified as Jack Gedion was discovered near Kufa Transport. Early reports suggested signs of possible mutilation, which fed into growing speculation on social media that a serial killer could be behind both deaths.
The rumours spread quickly across Norton, amplified by online discussions and word of mouth, with many residents expressing fear over walking at night or letting children out unaccompanied.
However, police have strongly rejected the narrative of a serial killer. Authorities say there is no evidence linking Gedion’s death to the earlier bar stabbing and that each case is being treated as an isolated incident.
“Current investigations do not indicate any connection between the two murders,” a police spokesperson said. “We urge the community to remain calm and allow law enforcement to complete their work.”
With Jena now facing murder charges, authorities say the situation in Norton is under control. The NPA and the Zimbabwe Republic Police have called for patience and cooperation as investigations into Gedion’s death continue.
“We understand the concerns of residents, but it is important to avoid spreading unverified information that may cause unnecessary panic,” the NPA said. “One of the cases has already been solved, and progress is being made on the second.”
Community leaders have echoed the appeal for calm, warning against misinformation. They noted that while Norton, like other towns, occasionally experiences violent crime, there is no evidence of a serial killer targeting residents.
For many in the town, the clarification brings relief after a tense week marked by speculation and fear. Parents had reportedly kept children indoors in the evenings, while local businesses said nighttime activity had slowed due to safety concerns.
Police have since stepped up patrols in certain parts of Norton to reassure the public and encourage residents to report any suspicious behaviour.
While the first case has been resolved with Jena’s arrest, the investigation into Gedion’s death continues. Authorities say forensic work is underway to establish the exact circumstances and cause of death.
So far, no arrests have been made, but detectives insist they are following strong leads. Officials reiterated that while the case remains open, there is no evidence to suggest a serial killer is operating in the area.
For now, Norton residents are being urged to exercise normal precautions but not to give in to fear.
“Both families of the victims deserve justice,” a police officer involved in the investigations said. “That remains our priority — to ensure that every case is investigated thoroughly and that the truth is established.”
As the cases unfold, authorities are hopeful that the arrest in the first murder case, combined with ongoing efforts in the second, will restore calm in Norton and put to rest unfounded rumours of a serial killer on the loose.
Source-iHarare










