
Six illegal miners died and four others sustained serious injuries at Mazowe Mine in Mashonaland Central on Friday morning after a hoist pulling them to the surface failed, causing them to plummet nearly 45 meters down an abandoned shaft. The tragic incident has once again highlighted the growing dangers associated with illegal mining in Zimbabwe’s dormant gold mines.
The fatal accident occurred at around 10AM, in a disused section of the mine previously operated by Metallon Gold and now owned by Namib Minerals. Operations at Mazowe Mine have been suspended since 2018, but the site remains overrun by artisanal miners who continue to exploit the underground shafts in search of gold, despite multiple legal warnings and court orders.
According to an official incident report, the group of ten miners had descended into the abandoned shaft around 7PM on Thursday, July 17, in a bid to extract ore. The group had managed to gather gold-bearing material overnight, but disaster struck during their ascent the following morning. The manually operated hoist system, often improvised by illegal miners and lacking any safety features, gave way under the weight, sending the miners crashing back down the shaft.
The deceased were identified as:
-
Milton Trust Ngonzwe (24), from Nyanga
-
Sebastian Dzaingwa (33), from Sanyati
-
Tawanda Nyandoro (41), from Gokwe
-
Edger Magenya (30), from Kwekwe
-
Elvis Kasaira (38), from Mutoko
-
Abel Majangara (25), from Buhera
Six Illegal Miners Die in Mazowe Mine Tragedy
The four survivors were pulled out with serious injuries, including multiple fractures, deep lacerations, and spinal trauma. They are currently receiving treatment at a nearby hospital, with two said to be in critical condition.
Authorities say the hoist system used by the miners was completely unregulated and operated without oversight. These makeshift mechanisms are widely used in illegal mining, despite being highly dangerous and prone to catastrophic failure.
Mazowe Mine has, over the years, become a focal point for illegal mining operations, driven largely by Zimbabwe’s worsening economic conditions and chronic unemployment. Artisanal miners — often referred to locally as makorokoza — continue to occupy the mine’s underground shafts in large numbers, risking their lives daily in the pursuit of gold.
The site has witnessed multiple fatal incidents in recent years. In February 2023, the mine was granted a High Court order prohibiting all unauthorized mining operations. This was followed by a government directive in April of the same year, ordering all illegal miners to vacate the site after three individuals were killed in a similar hoist malfunction.
Despite these legal interventions, enforcement has been inconsistent. Namib Minerals, the current owners of the mine, have repeatedly raised alarm over the lack of effective police action to secure the site and prevent further illegal activity. Just last week, three murder cases linked to violent clashes between rival mining groups were reported at Mazowe Mine, underscoring the deteriorating security situation.
In a statement following the latest incident, a spokesperson for Namib Minerals expressed deep concern over the continuing loss of life. “We are devastated by the news of yet another fatal incident at Mazowe Mine. We have consistently appealed for stronger enforcement and increased police presence. Our repeated warnings have gone unheeded, and lives continue to be lost as a result.”
Namib Minerals recently entered into a partnership agreement with Metallon Gold, and has committed to injecting US$300 million to fully revive operations at Mazowe Mine — including its associated Redwing and Jumbo mines. The company says its investment plan includes upgrading infrastructure, reintroducing formal employment, and implementing stringent safety protocols to bring an end to dangerous and illegal mining activities.
“Our long-term vision is to restore Mazowe Mine to full productivity, create sustainable jobs for thousands of Zimbabweans, and eliminate the need for illegal mining,” the company said. “But this cannot be achieved without government and law enforcement support in securing the site and protecting both human lives and property.”
As investigations into the accident continue, pressure is mounting on authorities to act swiftly to regulate Zimbabwe’s increasingly perilous small-scale mining sector. Human rights groups and civil society organisations are also urging the government to implement broader economic reforms to address the root causes driving people into such dangerous livelihoods.
Meanwhile, the families of the six deceased miners are now left mourning their loved ones — victims not only of a tragic accident but also of a system that has failed to protect them.
Source- Bulawayo24










