Soccer News

Ipswich Town 0 – 0 Burnley

Ipswich Town 0 – 0 Burnley. Ipswich and Burnley had to settle for a replay that neither side wanted after a goalless FA Cup fourth-round draw.

Both are seeking promotion from their respective divisions but a second game will decide who reaches the last 16.

Marcus Harness clipped the top of the Burnley crossbar in a bright start by the League One host at Portman Road.

Nathan Tella and Jay Rodriguez were denied as the Championship leaders improved after the break but they could not find a way past Vaclav Hladky.

Town boss Kieran McKenna only retained three of the starting line-up from last weekend’s league win over Morecambe and it was a similar story for Burnley, with only Jordan Beyer, Charlie Taylor, Samuel Bastien, and Tella remaining from the XI which began their home victory over West Brom.

In the first FA Cup meeting between the two sides, the home team started brightly, with loan signing George Hirst – whose father David played for Sheffield Wednesday in the 1993 final – causing plenty of problems for the Burnley defense.

The Clarets came into the game with foraging runs by Darko Churlinov resulting in a couple of off-target snapshots by Rodriguez, but despite some good passing and movement from both sides, neither keeper was seriously extended before the interval.

Burnley, though, were soon on the front foot following the re-start and Hladky had to tip a Tella shot over the bar after the forward’s first effort was blocked and then went down smartly to deny Rodriguez.

McKenna and Burnley counterpart Vincent Kompany both made three changes on the hour – the former replacing his entire front line, with top scorer Conor Chaplin and Freddie Ladapo – who both netted twice against Morecambe – and Nathan Broadhead sent on.

And Kompany made another change a few minutes later as midweek signing Lyle Foster – brought in from Belgian side KVC Westerlo – made his debut in English football, but Anass Zaroury twice shot wide from decent positions as they continued to press.

It was Ipswich – bidding to reach the fifth round for the first time in 16 years – who looked the more dangerous in the closing minutes as Luke Woolfenden headed over from Lee Evans’ ball into the box and Chaplin hit the bar with a floated cross which rebounded into the grateful arms of Bailey Peacock-Farrell.

Before the replay, Burnley will make another trip to the east of England next Saturday to face Norwich City in the league, while Ipswich will travel to Cambridge United.

source – BBC

Related Articles

Back to top button