The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has said former CID officer Jaison Muvevi who is facing murder charges has not been acquitted by the courts.
Police remarks come after the courts cleared Muvevi of six murder cases following ballistic tests prompting some members of the public to think that he had been acquitted.
In a statement seen by Pindula News, police said:
The ZRP reiterates that Jaison Muvevi is facing four counts of murder and four counts of attempted murder. He has not been acquitted by the courts for any charges. His next remand date is 8th March 2023.
Muvevi who was being investigated for killing up to 10 people, appeared before the courts recently and was cleared of six charges.
He was detained in custody until March 6 after appearing before Harare magistrate Mr Dennis Mangosi on Monday for routine remand.
Muvevi, a former police detective, was in the news following a January shooting spree in Hwedza in which three people died and two more narrowly escaped death.
He was arrested in Mozambique.
In other news – Rimbi tours bus involved in an accident
Rimbi Travel and Tours bus that was travelling from Zimbabwe to Malawi was involved in an accident on Tuesday.
The development was announced by Information Ministry Permanent Secretary, Nick Mangwana, who posted on his Twitter account saying the accident happened near Mutoko.Learn More