Israeli strike kills top rocket commander in Gaza
Israel’s military has killed the head of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) rocket launching force in a pre-dawn air strike on an apartment in Gaza.
Two other people, who the military said were also militants, died in the attack in the southern city of Khan Younis.
Sirens later sounded in southern Israel as about 10 mortars were fired from Gaza. No injuries were reported.
On Wednesday, militants fired 507 rockets and mortars at Israel and the Israel struck 158 PIJ targets in Gaza.
Twenty-five people have been killed and 76 injured in Gaza since Tuesday morning, when Israel began its operation against PIJ with a series of strikes that killed another three of its commanders, health officials there say.
At least 10 civilians are also among the dead, which the United Nations has called unacceptable.
The Israeli military said four people, including three children, were killed in Gaza by rockets falling short on Wednesday, though this has not been corroborated by Palestinian sources.
There have been no fatalities in Israel, although several people have been injured while rushing to shelters, according to local health officials.The early morning Israeli air strike in Khan Younis destroyed an apartment at the top of a six-storey building and also damaged the apartment below it.
The armed wing of the PIJ confirmed that the head of its missile unit, Ali Hassan Ghali, also known as Abu Mohammed, was killed the attack, which it described as a “treacherous Zionist assassination”.
The Palestinian health ministry said three people were killed and seven others injured. Palestinian media reported that the two other dead were Ghali’s brother and nephew.
The PIJ is the second biggest militant group in Gaza after Hamas, which controls the territory, and has been responsible for many of the rocket attacks on Israel in recent years.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed it had targeted Ghali and what it called two “other Islamic Jihad operatives in Gaza”.
It described the commander as a central figure in the PIJ who had been “responsible for the recent rocket barrages launched against Israel”.Later on Thursday morning, militants in Gaza fired about 10 mortars at Israeli communities in the southern Eshkol Regional Council, local officials said, adding that none landed in populated areas.
Some of the rockets and mortars fired have hit homes and buildings, but most have landed in open areas or been intercepted.
On Wednesday night, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that Israel’s campaign was not over.
“We have hit Islamic Jihad with the most significant blow it has ever suffered,” he said, referring to the killing of the three PIJ commanders on Tuesday and the targeting of dozens of the group’s rocket and mortar launch sites.
Islamic Jihad threatened dark days ahead if Israel “increased its aggression”.
A spokeswoman for UN Secretary General António Guterres said that he was following with deep concern the developments in Gaza and “condemns the civilian loss of life, including that of children and women, which he views as unacceptable”.
“The secretary general urges all parties concerned to exercise maximum restraint and to work to stop hostilities immediately,” she added.Egypt is working to try to secure a ceasefire between the two sides.
Israel’s Foreign Minister, Eli Cohen, said on Wednesday that it was “assessing” a proposal from Cairo. Palestinian factions reportedly want Israel to agree to stop what it calls “targeted assassinations”.
This week’s fighting is the heaviest since three days of hostilities between Israel and PIJ last August, in which 49 Palestinians were killed in Gaza.
There was a serious flare-up last week, as PIJ and other groups fired more than 100 rockets into Israel over two days, following the death in an Israeli prison of a Palestinian hunger striker. The Israeli military carried out air strikes on sites it said were linked to Hamas in response.
Tensions also remained high in the occupied West Bank on Wednesday, after Israel carried out arrest raids.
Three Palestinians were killed in the town of Qabatiya by Israeli forces, who said the trio had fired at them. An Israeli soldier was also seriously wounded during a separate exchange of fire with Palestinian gunmen in Tubas.
In other news- Kelvin Momo announces his USA tour
Kelvin Momo announces his USA tour. The tour will hold in May at five different venues.
The South African star released details on his social media account and captioned with, “SA What’s Good, hope you guys are ready to rock with your Boy…… KELVIN MOMO TO THE WORLD.” Learn more