Zimbabwe News

More details on missing Australian tourist emerge as search continues

The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has declared missing an Australian tourist aged 67 who was last seen on 17 February in Victoria Falls.

The tourist thought to have been travelling alone while in Victoria Falls, was booked at a local hotel and reportedly seen walking down to the Victoria Falls Rainforest around 6 AM on 17 February. That was the last time he was seen.

Details of the missing Aussie have not been given due to security reasons but he is said to have skin blemishes on the face.

Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (ZIMPARKS) spokesman Tinashe Farawo said on Monday that the missing tourist was male and aged 67 years.

The tourist, who was travelling alone, was staying at a luxury lodge about 3 kilometres (1.8 miles) from the rainforest park.

He reportedly told the lodge management on 17 February that he was heading into the park.

However, the man was not seen entering the park on CCTV footage reviewed later.

It also emerged that he was not among those recorded as entering the park, as normally is done for accountability and security purposes. Said Farawo:

We have replayed the CCTV footage, physical records at the entrance of the falls have no record of him entering and our search team has been checking the rainforest. There is no sign of him.

We are looking at other leads because it seems he never entered the rainforest.

The Chronicle reported ZRP spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi as saying investigations are underway. Said Asst Comm Nyathi:

We are still investigating as the missing person is yet to be located. No information has been gathered on the whereabouts or what may have happened to him and we appeal to anyone who may have any information to assist.

According to tourism operators, his family said the missing man was a well-travelled tourist who was visiting Victoria Falls for the fourth time.

There were fears the missing man may have drowned on the Zambezi River but if that had happened, by now his body may have been seen floating on water.

Some stakeholders believe that if he had been attacked by wild animals, his remains could have been recovered by now.

Others have suggested that the Aussie crossed into Zambia without stamping his passport.

Related Articles

Back to top button